As I previously explained me and the platform that I was using to build the mark 1 prototype had an ugly divorce as I hit a wall with it’s capabilities. For the mark 2 prototype I tested a different one, this one actually allowing me to accomplish what was necessary. For the prototype I managed to get a lot deeper into the animations and interactions that I wanted. I also made some refinements to the visuals though never really was satisfied with them. It felt like something was lacking. Through the feedback that I got I realised that I had some what lost the intended tone of voice somewhere along the way. It had all become quite clean and sterile. Very much lacking in personality and delight, the things that I had definitely wanted to incorporate.
A big addition from mark 1 was an introduction of a visual metaphor for sending thoughts. In aiming for an identity for the app I played with the idea of the thoughts being like paper planes that I used to through in class to my friends sitting on the other side of the room. This seemed to resonate with the people I asked about this and so I incorporated it to the app. It was an aspect that I really liked but it never seemed to sit right in the bigger picture. The reason, pointed by the tutors during the feedback, was that this metaphor was very much in conflict with the already existing one: the use of emoticons as a reference. The feedback as well as the doubting feeling in my gut have gotten me to doubt the project. I feel like I’m at the moment hitting my head against a big and very real brick wall.